Thursday, September 23, 2010

Open Letter To Tourists: Explaining the Word Vazaha (Malagasy Word for Foreigner)

(Note: When you come to Madagascar, it is common for children and
people around you to say "vazaha" when you walk by. You will hear
this word many times every day. Typically, foreigners take this word
to be derogatory. This letter explains the Malagasy perspective.)

Dear Vazaha,

This word is not as bad as you might think it is. It is neither an
impolite one nor a pejorative one. Usually foreign people are called
"vazaha" in Madagascar because of their white skin and it happens that
even local people get the same appellation. So please don't feel
rejected because of this word.

To be white means a lot for Malagasy people. It might mean rich,
powerful, smart, intelligent or beautiful. To illustrate that,
remember when you went into town in Madagascar, you might have noticed
that most Malagasy girls try to look more "Western" than African:
their hair turned from curly to straight, their skin with quite a lot
of cream to be more clear and also western clothes. So don't think
that Malagasy people hate white people—they just want to be like you.

Some vazaha, like you, my dear friend, don't really understand the
cultural values of term Malagasy term towards the foreigners. So, now
let me tell you something in particular about the Northern part of our
island and then you might understand that to be called vazaha is far
from what you think. The ethnic "Merina" (from the center of
Madagascar) are called "Borizany" which is very pejorative and the
Indian people are called "Karana" which is also pejorative. The
Merina have a bad history toward the people in the coast because of
the historical even when the Kind Radama 1 wanted to overpower the
entire island which cost the life of many people. The Indian people,
for their part, used to neglect Malagasy people and treat them almost
like slaves. But for the Arabic people who married with our women and
lived among us—to be called Arab is not a way fo race discrimination
it is just a way of being more specific about the person you are
talking about. So being called "vazaha" has nothing to deal with
hatred because you bring money to our country, you bring jobs and you
agree to mix with us.

My dear friend vazaha, next time you come to Madagacar and hopefully
to Diego, don't get upset when people call you vazaha. But if you
really want to be sure that it is not a bad word, just call them back
"vazaha" and I am 100% sure they will be happy to be called vazaha.

Take care! Vazaha!

Hishaam (lwahcool2006@live.fr)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy to learn that "vazaha" is not a pejorative term...I heard the word very often when I was visiting Madagascar last summer! :)

I enjoyed my visit to your country very much and would like to return for another visit someday soon.

I appreciate knowing that Malagasy people do not hate white people, but I am a little saddened to hear that Malagasy people want to be just like Western people. When you live in a place that has many white people (and people of many different backgrounds), you learn that not all white people are rich, powerful, smart, or intelligent, as you describe.

I did not say that not all white people are beautiful because I believe there is a unique beauty in every individual. For me, it does not come from the color of our skin. I saw many, many beautiful Malagasy men and women in Madagascar!

I hope that young men and women in Madagascar will recognize their inherent beauty and not put undue or unkind pressure on themselves to look a certain way. White people are not more beautiful (or less beautiful) than any other kind of people.

When I return, I will not get upset when I hear "vahaza!" I look forward to learning more about your country and your culture. Thank you for your insight and explanation.

Misaotra betsaka!

Anonymous said...

Thank-you for putting up so much great cultural content about Madagascar! I love reading these. Mark, USA

Anonymous said...

Thank You for the clarification on the vocabulary, it will help to dispel any derogatory connotations people may have.

Anonymous said...

Your country is very interesting. I will read the blogs often.

Take good care of Monica.

Robert

Anonymous said...

Is a black man from africa a vazaha? Even if he is filthy rich?

Ralph Scharping said...

I had a great time in your country and since everybody who called me Vazah had a smile on my face it never crossed my mind that this might be an insult.