Thursday, September 23, 2010

Open Letter To Tourists: Sexual Tourists

Dear Tourists,

Hi, my name is Julda. I am from the country of Madagascar. I wrote
this letter for all of you because sexual tourism has become well
known in Madagascar—especially in Diego Suarez which is my town. You
are the tourists but you have made something bad with us and in our
country and it may change our reputation in the future. I am against
sexual tourism and I will illustrate why.

First of all, some of you come to Madagascar with the purpose of
relaxing and escaping your problems. This is no problem at all. This
is good. But a few of you come here just to have sex with us. As a
Malagasy woman I did not accept this path because it would have
destroyed my future and also harmed my culture. Some of the victims
of sexual tourism are young girls ages 10-18. In addition, you have
sex with them without protection. As a result, the number of diseases
has increased more and more—such as AIDS and syphilis. If nothing
else, you should use a condom.

Second, I want you to understand the perspective of the prostitute.
She did not refuse to have sex with you because she wns money and she
also wants to marry you. In this case, you should not take advantage
of her weakness. Think about her situation and if you were in her
place—what would you do? We are humans—do not treat these women and
girls as animals. Every person is the same. We are not machines.
Recently, most of the girls who become prostitutes (ages 12-18)
neglect their studies and leave them. They become a prostitute and
only have Vazaha (foreigner) to share their lives.

Third, sexual tourism gives a bad reputation to the Malagasy people.
It may destroy our people and our customs. When other tourists hear
that Madagascar has many prostitutes—they don't want to come here. So
you have to change your mentality before you come here. When you
come, please, be seriously and give us the love and respect we
deserve.

To end my letter, I thank you for listening and I think you will
follow my instruction.

Julda

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is troubling that many women see no other option. I remember once reading about a family and how the older daughter is expected to bring money to the family and it is by joining this sex tourism industry. I hope things will change and those touched by the sex tourism industry can make a living in other ways.

Anonymous said...

This is very upsetting to the fact that many people come to your country just to have sex with the younger women. On top of it all after having sex with them some of the women get diseases.

Anonymous said...

It really made me sad after reading this blog about how these young girls are being treated like animals. I think at that young age (12-18) girls are naive and they don’t know the difference between right and wrong. At that age they should be going to school to get themselves educated so they can pursue their dreams. I think prostitution will defiantly hurt the tourism, which also affects the local economy. I wish they had stricter laws in Madagascar, like US.

Kamin

Anonymous said...

It is sad...As a woman, I am really sad.
I think that is why we need education. People should learn how to judge which one is right and which one is wrong,and which one is worth and which one is not.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you as Madagascar is very tourist and also extremley beautiful place. The young girls prostituting themselves and leaving their education behind is something we frown upon here in the USA. I understand how upset you may feel about this subject and I agree with you. I hope things will change their and also, keep those girls free from diseases.

Scott - U.S.A.

Anonymous said...

Reading this letter was very shocking. Hard to believe there are people out there with no heart in them to respect a certain culture in general. What you said was straight-forward and written well. Hopefully, all tourists out there will listen to what you had to announce. It is very disrespectful for people to treat women like that, especially at a very young age. But no worries, I believe there will be a turning point. Just needs time. Once you make a stand, things will change.

-Navin-

Unknown said...

I visited diego Suarez today and paid 10 euros for a tuk tuk. 1 hour around the city. It was fascinating and sad too. Although most people I saw looked happy and enjoying life. However it is very clear the poverty is for all to see.
What broke my heart more than anything was the fact. I asked the driver to stop at a cafe. Paid him the 10euros and he drove off.
I paid for a coffee and day down. I.was approached by a young lady. Rather a child. I don't suspect she was any older that 15 or 16.
She asked my name and asked if I wanted to go to a hotel for 30 euros.
I explained that she is speaking to the wrong person in this regard.
I.engaged in conversation when she knew I was not going to be involved with her offers.

What a wonderful beautiful and clearly intelligent young lady.

I kept asking myself. Why and how does this come to this. Clearly if given the chance. This young lady could make anything if her life. But I suppose the way things are in diego Suarez and indeed the rest of Madagascar leads her to prostitution.
I hope one day. She along with the others. Find a way forward and to a better way of life.
Very very sad indeed. I wish you all. Great success.